MYRTLE BEACH, SC (WMBF) - Live entertainment and a variety of barbeque proved to be the perfect combination to draw droves of visitors to Market Common for Myrtle Beach's annual Beach, Boogie & Barbeque festival.
Nora Hembree, spokeswoman for the Myrtle Beach Area Chamber of Commerce, said an estimated 15,000 to 20,000 were in attendance for the event that marked its fifth year on Sept. 3-4.
A total of 43 teams competed in the "Anything Goes" competition, the official Kansas City Barbeque Society Open Invitational and the Kansas City Barbeque Society Cook-off. The cook-off, in its second year at the festival, drew a variety of teams to Myrtle Beach from across the nation.
The following teams received awards during Friday's competitions:
- Anything Goes competition - Mike's Catering of Summerville, SC
- Shriners Division VIP Escorts - Unit Team #1 of Summerville, SC
- People's Choice - Omar Jolly Jeepsters of Conway
- Best Booth - Butts R Us of Waxhaw, NC
- Best T-shirt - Monkey Bottom BBQ of Timmonsville, SC
The following teams received awards during Saturday's competitions:
- KCBS Grand Champion - Bub-ba-que of Atlanta, GA
- KCBS Reserve Grand Champion - Pickin Porkers of Winston-Salem, NC
- KCBS Chicken Category - Bub-ba-que of Atlanta, GA
- KCBS Pork Ribs Category - The Soundsie Smokers of Currituck, NC
- KCBS Pork Brisket Category - Bub-ba-que of Atlanta, GA
- Shrine BBQ Network Division Winner - Rockin' Pig of Laurinburg, NC
- Shrine BBQ Network Sauce Category - Fat Back's BBQ and Rib Shack of Fayetteville, NC
"More than $20,000 in cash and prizes were awarded to winners of all competitions," Hembree said. "This year's festival had the largest turnout yet, and all barbeque proceeds significantly benefited the Omar Shriners Temple."
Officials have scheduled next year's Beach, Boogie & Barbeque Festival for Sept. 2-3 at Grand Park, across from the Market Common.