CCU study reveals details about NMB tax hike

North Myrtle Beach, SC - NORTH MYRTLE BEACH, SC (WMBF) - Several months after a proposed tax increase was first discussed, Coastal Carolina University released details about what could come if the 1 percent sales tax was implemented.

According to the study North Myrtle Beach could see an additional $4.5 million from the first year of the tax.

"I think we pay enough when we come to visit, I just paid $65 for a cab," said Geannettea Flores, a tourist from Arlington, TX. "Times are hard, we're barely making it as it is."

The same study suggested that 80 percent of the money generated would come from tourists. The other 20 percent would be expected to come from locals.

"We're using it for the right thing and marketing and bringing in more people," said Mark Lazarus, a business owner in North Myrtle Beach.

The tax will now be discussed by North Myrtle Beach City Council and the North Myrtle Beach Chamber of Commerce.

Copyright 2010 WMBF News All Rights Reserved