Crews clean up fuel leaking from tanker truck - WMBFNews.com, Myrtle Beach/Florence SC, Weather

Crews clean up fuel leaking from tanker truck

Myrtle Beach, SC -

MYRTLE BEACH, SC (WMBF) - A tanker truck at the center of a fuel spill in Socastee Monday morning is undergoing an inspection, according to Horry County Councilman Bob Grabowski.

Crews with the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control were called to Myrtle Beach after a tanker truck overturned on Peachtree Road and spilled diesel fuel, creating a hazmat situation for area emergency crews.

Horry County Fire Rescue spokeswoman Leslie Yancey said officials found a tanker truck overturned by storms that tore through Horry County Sunday night.

Crews were working to clean the leak on Peachtree Road when something sparked the fuel and fumes. After a brief scare, someone on scene was able to extinguish the temporary blaze. Officials later re-closed the road to traffic due to safety concerns, but it has since been re-opened.

Ervin Lambert, owner of L&L Contractors, the company that owns the 7,000-gallon tanker, said the truck was holding diesel fuel used to fill construction vehicles working on the SC-31 extension. Lambert said they believe about 1,000 gallons of fuel was inside, but it is unknown how much leaked onto Peachtree.

In an effort to contain the leak, officials built a dam between the truck and a nearby storm water drainage ditch to prevent fuel from spilling in.

Crews on scene said they hope to have 80 percent of the fuel cleaned up by Monday night. The remaining 20 percent is expected to be contained by Tuesday morning.

Copyright 2010 WMBF News. All rights reserved.

  • Local NewsLocalMore>>

  • Second suspect arrested in Myrtlewood area homicide

    Second suspect arrested in Myrtlewood area homicide

    Friday, July 20 2018 10:33 AM EDT2018-07-20 14:33:22 GMT

    The Horry County Police Department has made an arrested in Tuesday's homicide near Wild Iris Drive.

    More >>

    The Horry County Police Department has made an arrested in Tuesday's homicide near Wild Iris Drive.

    More >>
  • Experts remind homeowners of the common misconceptions of hurricane insurance

    Experts remind homeowners of the common misconceptions of hurricane insurance

    Friday, July 20 2018 10:28 AM EDT2018-07-20 14:28:51 GMT
    The National Flood Insurance Program is set to expire at the end of this month on July 31 (Source: WMBF News)The National Flood Insurance Program is set to expire at the end of this month on July 31 (Source: WMBF News)

    We're quickly approaching the peak of hurricane season. Right now, the National Flood Insurance Program is set to expire at the end of this month on July 31, which could be a problem for federally insured flood zone properties this summer.

    More >>

    We're quickly approaching the peak of hurricane season. Right now, the National Flood Insurance Program is set to expire at the end of this month on July 31, which could be a problem for federally insured flood zone properties this summer.

    More >>
  • MBPD investigate shots fired near Carver Apartments

    MBPD investigate shots fired near Carver Apartments

    Friday, July 20 2018 8:57 AM EDT2018-07-20 12:57:03 GMT
    Police investigate shots fired in Myrtle Beach (Source: Jon Dick)Police investigate shots fired in Myrtle Beach (Source: Jon Dick)

    MYRTLE BEACH, SC (WMBF) – Myrtle Beach Police investigated a “shots fired” call overnight Friday. Officers were called to the area of Carver Street, Washington Street and King Street in the City of Myrtle Beach after 3:00 a.m. Friday, according to Sergeant Steven Clothier. Five or six shots fired is what was reported in the original call, Clothier said, several casings were on the ground near the Cover Apartments.

    More >>

    MYRTLE BEACH, SC (WMBF) – Myrtle Beach Police investigated a “shots fired” call overnight Friday. Officers were called to the area of Carver Street, Washington Street and King Street in the City of Myrtle Beach after 3:00 a.m. Friday, according to Sergeant Steven Clothier. Five or six shots fired is what was reported in the original call, Clothier said, several casings were on the ground near the Cover Apartments.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly