MYRTLE BEACH, SC (WMBF) - The City of Myrtle Beach expects to approve its budget Tuesday, but cuts have non-profits digging deep in their pockets.
If approved, the city's budget will include a 13.5 percent cut across the board that is trickling down to outside organizations the city typically funds.
The summer program at the Boys and Girls Club of the Grand Strand is in full swing, but the program and others like it could be slashed without more funding, according the Executive Director Don Hall.
"We might have to limit our numbers for our program," Hall said. "But basically limit our after school and our summer program where we're providing kids with a safe place to go and constructive, positive activities to participate in."
The club will most likely receive about $3,500 less than they received last year, according to the city.
Hall says that shortage in funds will directly affect the kids, some of which have no other place to go. An idea that is unimaginable for staff member and mom Trinna Pigg.
"We've put a lot of effort into them and we want to see them grow up and keep making good in school and stuff," Pigg said. "That's gonna be sad. It really would. It's heart-breaking."
City Spokesman Mark Kruea says the year has been financially tight all the way around and cuts are being made wherever possible.
For more information on how you can help the Boys and Girls Club, contact 843-213-1185.