Marion, SC - MARION, SC (WMBF) - A Summerville man has been arrested in connection to more than $24,000 worth of electronics stolen from eight Marion County churches in 2009, according to officials.
Derrick James Perry was arrested Tuesday and charged with eight counts of second degree burglary and grand larceny. He's accused of robbing eight churches in Mullins and Marion of $24,075 worth of televisions, VCRs, electronics and computer equipment between January and February 2009.
Investigators say he burglarized the following churches:
- Jan. 10, 2009: Wise Chapel AME Church in Marion
- Jan. 11, 2009: Millers Church in Mullins
- Jan. 11, 2009: St. Mary's AME Church in Marion
- Jan. 11, 2009: McMillian Baptist Church in Marion
- Jan. 11, 2009: Spring Branch Baptist Church in Marion
- Jan. 13, 2009: Springville United Methodist Church in Marion
- Jan. 13, 2009: Mt. Zion AME Church in Mullins
- Feb. 10, 2009: St. Stevenson Baptist Church in Marion
Marion County Sheriff Mark W. Richardson says Perry broke windows at the church and burglarized them. At one of the scene, investigators found a drop of blood on some glass, which was sent for DNA testing. The DNA results led detectives to Perry.
A bond hearing is set for 1 p.m. Thursday at the Marion County Magistrates Courtroom.