(NBC) - There was a shower of sparks but no serious injuries after a utility pole fell on top of a charter bus full of students outside a middle school in Southwest suburban Hinsdale early Friday.
The bus, one of three heading to Branson, Mo., struck a guide wire to the pole, causing it to snap and knocking out the power to Hinsdale Middle School and the surrounding neighborhood.
Classes at the school were canceled Friday and ComEd was working to restore power.
Video shot from inside an adjacent bus shows the utility pole coming down in a cascade of sparks and a small fire.
"I would not like to be on that bus," one student is heard saying in the video.
The Doings Hinsdale reported that a small fire also started on the bus and was put out with an extinguisher. Several windows on the bus were shattered.
"I was just thinking, 'I've got to get off this bus! I've got to get off this bus or else I'll die," one student told NBC Chicago.
About 40 students and adults got out of the disabled bus through the front door and a rear window.
"Everyone on the bus was looked over, but none required transport to a hospital," said Hinsdale fire Capt. Rick Ronovsky, according to the Daily Herald.