Bailey no longer employed with North Myrtle Beach - WMBFNews.com, Myrtle Beach/Florence SC, Weather

Bailey no longer employed with North Myrtle Beach

North Myrtle Beach, SC -

NORTH MYRTLE BEACH, SC (WMBF) - The embattled former director of public safety for the City of North Myrtle Beach is no longer an employee, according to City spokeswoman Nicole Aiello.

In a press release Saturday, Aiello announced William Bailey is no longer an employee of the city, effective Friday, April 30, 2010.

According to two sources, Bailey was given an ultimatum by North Myrtle Beach City Manager John Smithson to resign or be fired by the city on Thursday afternoon. Sources say Bailey asked his attorney for clarification of the ultimatum.

Sources said the situation involving the city and Bailey boiled down to a battle over dates. Since Bailey's termination letter is dated Friday, he will be able to receive retirement funds.

Bailey was in negotiations with city officials over his current position after being demoted to lieutenant. The demotion stemmed from a December 2009 investigation into a gun taken from Bailey's personal vehicle.

Bailey told investigators it was locked in his glove compartment, but an investigation revealed the glove compartment in which it was stored did not have a lock.

Horry County Police were dispatched to Bailey's home after the director reported two of his personal vehicles had been broken into between 10 p.m. Dec. 27 and 8 a.m. Dec. 28. Bailey told police he became suspicious of criminal activity after noticing his truck, parked in his driveway, had been left unlocked throughout the night.

After opening the driver's side door of the truck, a police report states Bailey found papers thrown over the seats and the glove compartment and center console opened. A handgun stored in the glove compartment, Horry County Police say, was among the items taken from the vehicle.

Bailey later discovered his wife's car, parked inside of a garage, had also been tampered with. Items were strewn across the inside of the vehicle, but Bailey was unable to identify any stolen items.

Further questioning of Bailey's family revealed his son discovered what he calls a "suspicious man" in the neighborhood around 2:30 a.m. on Dec. 21. When Bailey's son pulled over his vehicle to question why the man was in the area, he said he was visiting his girlfriend.

The man then proceeded to reach into his camouflage backpack, for what Bailey's son presumed to be a gun, and drove off. Bailey's son told police he returned to his home, grabbed two baseball bats, and unsuccessfully attempted to track the unidentified man down.

North Myrtle Beach officials released a statement revealing Bailey had been placed on administrative leave after an investigation revealed Bailey's glove box did not have a lock on it. As stated in an incident report, Bailey's gun could not have been safely stored inside of his truck.

WMBF went to North Myrtle Beach to find out how people are reacting to the news.

"It does not surprise me at all that he no longer works for the city," said North Myrtle Beach resident. Cameron Mott. "All cities are going to have some kind of drama at some point- it's just our turn."

Jerry Novak says he has had enough. " I wonder why it took so long ," he said. "I really really do think that it does put a negative light on North Myrtle Beach" he said.

Novak said "It seems to me he should have been fired long before this- or resigned or whatever."

North Myrtle Beach resident Bill Bellamy says everyone makes mistakes and he respects Bailey because he has worked hard for the city over the past 20 years. "I mean he's done a great job," he said. "You can find fault in anything or anyone."

Bellamy thought the city could have forgiven Bailey for what they say he had done, "The Lord forgives us, we just came out of church. So why can't the city forgive him?"

Others, like Novak, say the damage is done. "Who knows if it can get much worse or not," he said.

If they agree on anything, it's relief that this matter may be coming to an end.

"I think it needs to be over with," Bellamy said. "They need to get over with it and move on because it's about protection, it's about the whole city not just about one person that may have made a mistake."

WMBF News did speak with Bailey's attorney on Sunday, and he declined to comment.

Copyright 2010 WMBF News. All rights reserved.

  • Local NewsLocalMore>>

  • Surfside pharmacist expands business to incorporate ice cream parlor

    Surfside pharmacist expands business to incorporate ice cream parlor

    Sunday, July 15 2018 7:23 PM EDT2018-07-15 23:23:26 GMT
    The ice cream parlor was always a dream of Bundrick and will be open until 11PM (Source: WMBF News)The ice cream parlor was always a dream of Bundrick and will be open until 11PM (Source: WMBF News)

    SURFSIDE BEACH, SC (WMBF) -- A dream has become a reality for one Surfside Beach business owner who has expanded his pharmacy into an ice cream parlor, and what better way to celebrate than on National Ice Cream Day. Daniel Bundrick is the owner of the Surfside Beach Pharmacy, now when you think about a pharmacy you probably don’t associate it with ice cream, but back in the day pharmacies did far more than just fill prescriptions and that’s exactly why Bundrick opened Th...

    More >>

    SURFSIDE BEACH, SC (WMBF) -- A dream has become a reality for one Surfside Beach business owner who has expanded his pharmacy into an ice cream parlor, and what better way to celebrate than on National Ice Cream Day. Daniel Bundrick is the owner of the Surfside Beach Pharmacy, now when you think about a pharmacy you probably don’t associate it with ice cream, but back in the day pharmacies did far more than just fill prescriptions and that’s exactly why Bundrick opened Th...

    More >>
  • Police: Woman shot at, punched ex-boyfriend in Walmart parking lot

    Police: Woman shot at, punched ex-boyfriend in Walmart parking lot

    Sunday, July 15 2018 2:04 PM EDT2018-07-15 18:04:53 GMT
    Source: PixabaySource: Pixabay
    Source: PixabaySource: Pixabay
    NORTH MYRTLE BEACH, SC (WMBF) - Warrants could be issued as early as Sunday after a Myrtle Beach woman allegedly shot at her ex-boyfriend  and his new girlfriend in the parking lot of Walmart on Highway 17. North Myrtle Beach spokesman Pat Dowling says the incident happened in the parking lot around 1:20 a.m.. According to authorities the female suspect followed her ex-boyfriend to the Walmart before confronting him and punching him several times in the face. Dowling ...More >>
    NORTH MYRTLE BEACH, SC (WMBF) - Warrants could be issued as early as Sunday after a Myrtle Beach woman allegedly shot at her ex-boyfriend  and his new girlfriend in the parking lot of Walmart on Highway 17. North Myrtle Beach spokesman Pat Dowling says the incident happened in the parking lot around 1:20 a.m.. According to authorities the female suspect followed her ex-boyfriend to the Walmart before confronting him and punching him several times in the face. Dowling ...More >>
  • One killed, one hurt after dumpster falls on workers at Campbell's factory in Maxton

    One killed, one hurt after dumpster falls on workers at Campbell's factory in Maxton

    Sunday, July 15 2018 1:39 PM EDT2018-07-15 17:39:28 GMT
    (Source: Raycom Media)(Source: Raycom Media)
    (Source: Raycom Media)(Source: Raycom Media)
    ROBESON COUNTY, NC (WMBF) - One man is dead and another seriously injured after an incident at the Campbell's Soup factory in Maxton Sunday morning. According to Sheriff Kenneth Sealey deputies responded to a 911 call around 11 a.m. Authorities believe the workers were attempting to move a dumpster using a forklift when it shifted, falling on two people.  The status of the seriously injured man is unknown at this time.  Sealey says the incident is still under investi...More >>
    ROBESON COUNTY, NC (WMBF) - One man is dead and another seriously injured after an incident at the Campbell's Soup factory in Maxton Sunday morning. According to Sheriff Kenneth Sealey deputies responded to a 911 call around 11 a.m. Authorities believe the workers were attempting to move a dumpster using a forklift when it shifted, falling on two people.  The status of the seriously injured man is unknown at this time.  Sealey says the incident is still under investi...More >>
Powered by Frankly