Myrtle Beach, SC - MYRTLE BEACH, SC (WMBF) - A radical church group that travels the country protesting military funerals and professing God's hatred of homosexuals is headed to the Grand Strand, according to the church's website.
Westboro Baptist Church, online at www.godhatesfags.com, plans to be at various locations in North Myrtle Beach on May 16, and in Myrtle Beach, Conway, Little River and Murrells Inlet five days later. The website states the group will picket at the following locations:
May 16, 2010
- Our Lady Star of the Sea Catholic Church, 1100 Eighth Ave. N from 9:30-10 a.m.
- Ocean Drive Presbyterian Church, 410 Sixth Ave. S from 10:25-10:55 a.m.
- Barefoot Church, 701 Main St. from 11:15-11:45 a.m.
May 21, 2010
- Conway High School, 2301 Church St. from 7:45-8:15 a.m.
- Socastee High School, 4900 Socastee Blvd. from 7:50-8:20 a.m.
- Carolina Forest High School, 700 Gardner Lacy Rd. from 7:50-8:20 a.m.
- Myrtle Beach High School, 3302 Robert M. Grissom Pkwy. From 3:15-3:45 p.m.
- North Myrtle Beach High School, 3750 Sea Mountain Hwy. from 3:15-3:45 p.m.
- St. James High School, 10800 Highway 707 from 3:15-3:45 p.m.
Groups from the church are also slated to protest in Irmo, Charleston, Columbia and Mount Pleasant in May.
According to the website, the church is visiting the area to warn children of President Barack Obama's education plan, protest area churches' interpretation of the Bible, claiming "the Catholic Church is the largest, most well funded and organized pedophile machine in the history of man," and parents' rearing of their children.
Protesters will be at Myrtle Beach High School because "The last generation of childern [sic] in doomed america [sic] deserves to see some truth at least one time in their lives."
In it's posting for Carolina Forest High School, the site states, "We are determined that each place we go, all the children who you adults have lied to, get this message: TWO WORDS define Antichrist Obama's 'Education Plan'… Flee these lying false prophets, kids… [Kevin] Jennings [assistant deputy secretary for Safe and Drug-Free Schools]/Obama say 'screw you buddy' to God. That is why God has sent them to punish your parents for lying to you all your lives long."
The group is headed to Conway High School "to tell the parents and teachers that God hates you, Doomed America, for what you have done to your kids."
Westboro also protests nonmilitary events, such as the 2007 funeral of the Rev. Jerry Falwell, and the deaths of 29 miners recently in West Virginia. The group first grabbed widespread notice in 1998, when members appeared outside the funeral of Matthew Shepard, the gay University of Wyoming student whose murder drew national attention.