Hartsville, SC - HARTSVILLE, SC (WMBF) - Student artists and their teachers across Darlington County were recognized for their work at the annual "Art in Business Youth Art Show" on Sunday, March 21, at Hartsville Middle School.
The Art in Business Program, held by the Darlington County School District, recognized 22 student winners and showcased hundreds of pieces for student artwork.
Officials from 22 of the district's schools each selected one student's art to represent the school in the district-wide competition. Local businesses sponsored each school winner, making it possible to professionally frame the art and provide each winner with a $100 savings bond.
The art will hang in the sponsoring business for a year before returning to the student's home school to be displayed permanently.
This year's school winners are:
- Brockington Elementary Magnet School – Katlyn Travers
- Brunson-Dargan Elementary School – Tryiuna Mayze
- Cain Elementary School – Abigail Weatherford
- Carolina Elementary School – Avery Isgett
- Darlington County Institute of Technology – Jessica Ross
- Darlington High School – Joshua C. Dewitt
- Darlington Middle School – Briana Johnson
- Hartsville High School – Jade Longfellow
- Hartsville Middle School – Madeline Smith
- Lamar Elementary School – Logan Lilley
- Lamar High School – Brittany Sauls
- Mayo High School for Math, Science & Technology – Michael Watson
- North Hartsville Elementary School – Johnathan W. Wilfong
- Pate Elementary School – Da'Sean Sims
- Rosenwald Elementary/Middle School – Ramano McDaniel
- Southside Early Childhood Center – Brooklyn Steen
- Spaulding Elementary School – Jessica Davis
- Spaulding Middle School – Taylor Norris
- St. John's Elementary School – Ashlee Boykin
- Thornwell School for the Arts – Zontavia Prescott
- Washington St. Elementary School – Benson Mark
- West Hartsville Elementary School – Kristin Minor
In addition to the school winners, four grand prize winners were announced at the AiB ceremony. Each grand prize winner's school received $200 for art supplies, and the grand prize winning artwork will hang in the school district's Administrative Building for the year.
This year's grand prize winners are:
- Grades K-2: Zontavia Prescott, Thornwell School for the Arts
- Grades 3-5: Tyriuna Mayze, Brunson-Dargan Elementary School
- Grades 6-8: Madeline Smith, Hartsville Middle School
- Grades 9-12: Michael Cody Watson, Mayo High School for Math, Science & Technology
For more information about this and other programs in Darlington County, contact the Office of Communications at 843-398-2284.