Horry County, SC - HORRY COUNTY, SC (WMBF) – Horry County Museum recently held its 16th annual Quilt Gala on Feb. 27-28, featuring more than 240 pieces on display.
The categories this year were various sized quilts, wearables and the challenge quilt entrants. The challenge quilt followed present restrictions such as colors, fabric choice and themes.
The challenge this year was themed "Initial This," meaning applicants used their own initials as a basis for a quilt theme. Wearables are garments, usually hand sewn, using a variety of quilting techniques.
Vendors were available for visitors sewing and quilting needs, including patterns, fabric, thread, baskets, clothing, wall hangings, aprons, and much more.
The featured quilter in 2010 was Maxi Lardiere, originally of Austria, and is now residing in Myrtle Beach. Her quilts have sold throughout the world on her website.
The public was invited to vote on their favorite quilts. Ribbons were given in each category for third, second and first place. The ribbon winners will have their items displayed at the Horry County Museum throughout the month of March.
The Best of Show item is the quilt that received the most votes overall.
- 1st Place, Patricia MacFerren, Thistle Pods
- 2nd Place, Betty Sypniewski, Pictogram Block Party
- 3rd Place, Velma Kershner, Latte Quilt
- 1st Place, Jerre Reese, Summer Serenity
- 2nd Place, Jerre Reese, Once Upon a Star
- 3rd Place, Donna Matheson, Poinsetta
- 1st Place, Jerre Reese, Pansy
- 2nd Place, Aira Kekale, Dragonfly
- 3rd Place, Joanne Adams, Pineapple
- 1st Place, Carole Anderson, Cathedral Window Jacket
- 2nd Place, Genevieve Hughes, Bargello Type Jacket
- 3rd Place, Judi Strock, Evening In Paris
- 1st Place, Gail Baker, The Gate Beyond
- 2nd Place, Aira Kekale, Another Killer Heirloom Keeper
- 3rd Place, Meg Filatrault, Mystical Feathers